Monday, April 20, 2009

Power Teaching

As a educator I am always looking to learn and adapt new teaching strategies into my instruction. Earlier this semester I attended a workshop that really made me change the way I look at conducting my own classroom, the name of this program is called Power Teaching.

Power Teaching is a type of instruction that is focused on high energy from both the teacher and the students involved. The entire program is based around five simple rules:
  1. Follow directions quickly
  2. Raise your hand for permission to speak
  3. Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat
  4. Make smart decisions
  5. Keep your dear teacher happy
The rules and all the procedures that go into this program are designed to make your class more efficient by simplifying and making the whole process fun. Below is a short video of the basics of Power Teaching, taught by Chris Biffle (creator) to with help from his college class.


The program is easy to use and as you can see from the video works with all age groups. The little bit of training I have done with this program has made a huge change for me in the classroom. It makes classroom management easy, lessons more enjoyable for students, and for me helps minimize classroom stressors. You can check out more videos from Chris Biffle and Power Teaching by simply going to YouTube and searching "power teaching", or check out his website by clicking here.

Mr. McClung

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Power teaching might be the solution for child obesity.

Jarrod Lamshed said...

I like this a a lot. I can see my boys responding really well to some of these strategies. One of the hardest things about my day is getting the boys to stop and move their focus to me quickly, especially when we are doing movement based and high energy lessons. They respond really well to humour. I will definitely be checking this out some more.

M Webb said...

It was interesting to see this integrated in your classroom in a video and the students responding to it accordingly

Jarrod Lamshed said...

I have recently spent a bit of time 'adapting' this to my classroom. I can't seem to get my head around using the whol program, but what I AM doing is working brilliantly for my kids. Thanks for sharing this.