Monday, October 25, 2010

Journaling Using Pen and Ink


In my media history class I have been having my students create journal entries detailing events that happen during the American Revolution. Here is a link to our blog where you can find the posts.

A few years ago I received a calligraphy kit to use for teaching an after school class. It has a class set of pens and points that we used to create handwritten journals entries. While the students enjoyed the activity (I may let them continue to do them that way if they choose), they did have a problem with the pens. They are extremely messy and since my students are not used to working with this new medium, there were a lot of spills.

I think that having the students use the old-fashioned tools helps them to understand a little more about the complexity of the process of writing that the soldiers would have had. Imagine having to carry around all that material just to write a journal entry!

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

The 8th grade staff in my building does a Pioneer Days activity and I often run a session on quill writing. I collect up the feathers from my chickens and peacocks. They always want to keep the feathers when they are done. I think you are right, it gives them an appreciation for our modern conveniences.