Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Help Daraja Academy Provide Education for Girls in Kenya




I grew up and now teach in very poor, rural community. In a nation of the very advantaged my students have less than most. Many of my students benefit from social programs provided by the government as well as charity provided by our local community.

As a youth pastor I am painfully aware of how a few dollars can make a huge difference in the lives of families that just can't quite make it to the next paycheck. I see the struggles families have that are always on the brink of financial ruin, with the only real safety net the kindness of others in our community.

I know many of you are also a witness to similar situations in your schools and in your communities. I understand that charity begins at home.

Over the past few years I have become very aware of the world outside of the city limits of my small town. Many of you have made me reconsider many of my thoughts and priorities. You have shown me that sharing and caring no longer should be contained in a classroom, it needs to extend throughout the world. 

Now I am asking you to help out some children that live outside
of our communities, outside of our countries.

The Darja Academy is an all girls secondary boarding school in Kenya. The school offers opportunities for girls to get an education and empowers them to fight their way out of the poverty they live in. Now Darja has an opportunity to raise funds through Nike's Girl Effect. If you donate any amount to Darja you will give them a vote that may put them in the top six candidates. Not only will the money you donate be used to help educate their students, if they get enough votes they will have receive a huge publicity boost.

I am going to donate because I know that although charity begins at home it should not end there.