Sunday, August 16, 2009

Where Are My Priorites?


I have spent the last week working incredibly hard, but I haven't been doing much worthwhile. You see, last week we were back to school. In the past I would have felt pretty good at this point. I would be ready to start working with my students doing fun and interesting things. The preparation for this week would be complete.

Unfortunately, because of changes that have taken the place over summer I have not yet reached that point. Our school has changed server software from Novell to Windows Server, but we haven't finished changing over all our computers. Our teachers can't print from their computers because the network printers have to be rerouted. I have changed positions from fifth grade to jr. high/tech facilitator. This does not include the basic beginning of year problems that need to be solved like bad cables, forgotten passwords, moving computers around. Take all these problems and add to them my computer lab doesn't want to run correctly and our internet access is less reliable than satellite tv in hurricane.

I am not looking for sympathy, I have already done that on Twitter. What I want to do is explain that I have thought about the past week and I realized that I have failed to take care of the really important things. I haven't spent any quality time with the new teachers in my building to help them reflect on the first few days. I haven't walked around and made any connections with the students in the school. Obviously my priorities are messed up!

This week I plan to spend more time working with the staff and the students than I do with the technology. I will make sure my priorities are put in order.

2 comments:

Suzanne @2020nexus said...

I extend my sympathies even though you're not asking. I'm not a tech coordinator but people treat me as if I am - mixed blessing! Seems I've spent more time on lab readiness than on planning or relationship-building. I'm also stressed because I'm at the district IT guys' mercy on a few things like installing new memory in 30 PC's, projector mounts, network drops, etc. Really, I'd do this stuff myself if they would only let me. Hope they finish by Tuesday at 8:45 a.m.!!

But you've made a very good point. It isn't about having the tech working perfectly is it? It's about teachers and kids starting an new adventure together. Thanks for the reminder. :)

John Hadley Strange said...

They are lucky to have you there! Networks working or not!